Don't you just hate those surprise spur of the moment trips to the pool, or heading out in a dress and showing some leg, or perhaps even a more intimate setting when your skin is all flaky, dry and unhealthy looking?
Often people don't take time to think about their skin on a daily basis, they just kind of wash and go. Our skin is the largest organ of the body, and it's really important to care for it correctly with some preventative dry skin therapy.
This way you won't be bothered with itchy, sore, flaky skin, and you'll be ready for anything with skin that is ready to be revealed (and look fantastic) on a moments notice.
Read on to learn 7 simple steps that you should be doing everyday as part of your regular dry skin therapy.
- Bath/Shower Routine - Most people would agree that having a nice hot soak in the tub, or a steamy shower is a way to relax and unwind from a hectic day. Your skin certainly would not agree. Using hot water in the bath or shower strips the skin of its own natural moisture and leads to flaky skin problems. Instead have a quick shower or bath in tempered water (lukewarm - warm). When you get out of the shower, be sure you don't "rub" the moisture off with a towel, instead gently "pat" excess water from your skin.
- Climate Conditions - Depending where you live, climate plays a big role in the quality of your skin. If you live in a dry cold weather climate, extra care needs to be taken. Cold air and wind will suck the moisture right out of your skin. Take the extra time to cover up your skin when you are out in the cold.
- Home Air Quality - Notice how dry the air in your home and office is. Investing in a humidifier will put some of that moisture back in the air that is lost when running heating/cooling systems constantly.
- Stay hydrated - Again, our skin is the largest organ we have, and we are made up of mostly water. When your system starts to feel dehydrated, or in need of water, it will rob it from your skin. Be sure you are drinking a minimum of 8 full glasses of water every day. Water is just such an essential part in healthy living, period. Very important, and not to be forgotten.
- Do not use Soap - I didn't talk about how harsh soaps are on your skin in step number one, because I feel like it needs to be stated all on its own. Soaps dry your skin - don't use them. Instead, find a good quality moisturizing cleanser or body wash to get clean. Just this slight change and you will immediately notice that your skin doesn't have such a tight, dry feeling after your shower.
- Laundry Products - Again, be sure that you are not using harsh soaps and detergents when doing your laundry, and be sure that all of the soap is completely rinsed. I vote for natural "green" products, but that's a personal choice. Remember, clothing is next to your skin all day, everyday, using harsh soaps can cause irritation and itchiness to your skin.
- Body Lotion/Moisturizer - Saving the best until last. This is the most important part of healthy, beautiful skin. You should apply body lotion after every shower before your skin is completely dry, helping to seal the moisture in. You want to be sure to have a very good quality moisturizer that will nourish your skin and promote healthy regrowth. Most over the counter body lotions get it wrong. Though they do make your skin feel moisturized, the effects are generally very short lived.
I have done much research on choosing a body lotion that will actually nourish my skin. You see, it use to be that I didn't take my own dry skin therapy seriously. My skin we be so dry it would crack, and sometimes bleed. I would put any body lotion on my skin just to get some temporary quick relief. What often happened, was that my skin would burn and hurt like crazy from those products. This is because my skin was so very unhealthy.
Since then I have found a body lotion that by far is the very best for nourishing extremely dry skin. It has active ingredients that actually promote regrowth of collagen and elastin at a structural level, and it also has anti-oxidants that stop the damage caused by free radicals.
When I use this body lotion faithfully after every shower, and follow the other steps listed in the guide, my skin is the healthiest it has every been. I'm not afraid to put on a dress, or go to the pool because I know my skin looks and feels healthy.
If you want to learn more about having healthy looking skin, and learn about the products and ingredients that I recommend after doing extensive study on the subject of dry skin therapy, visit my website today.